MAKES: 8 SERVINGS
PREP: 45 MINS
GRILL: 20 MINS
2/3 cup finely chopped green onions
1/3 cup whiskey
1/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt or garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground pork
8 lettuce leaves
8 red onion slices
8 red and/or yellow tomato slices
8 kaiser rolls or onion hamburger buns, split and toasted
1/2 cup barbecue sauce
THE DAY BEFORE:
- In a large bowl combine green onions, whiskey, bread crumbs, Worcestershire sauce, melted butter, garlic, seasoned salt, crushed red pepper, and black pepper. Add ground beef and ground pork; mix well. Shape meat mixture into sixteen 1/2-inch-thick patties.
- Place 1 tablespoon of the Cheddar-Whiskey Filling on the center of each of eight of the patties (reserve remaining filling). Top with the remaining eight patties; pinch edges together to seal. In a storage container layer patties between sheets of waxed paper; cover and chill overnight.
- Tote patties, the remaining filling, lettuce, red onion, and tomato in an insulated cooler with ice packs.
- At the tailgating site, prepare grill (with a cover). For a charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals around a drip pan. Test for medium heat above pan. Place patties on grill rack over drip pan. Cover and grill for 10 minutes. Turn patties; cover and grill for 5 minutes. Top each patty with 1 tablespoon of the remaining filling. Cover and grill about 5 minutes more or until done (160 degrees F). (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust for indirect grilling and grill as above.)
- Spread bottoms of rolls with barbecue sauce; top with burgers, lettuce, red onion, and tomato. Replace tops of rolls.
From the Test Kitchen
Insulated cooler with ice packs
On-site grill (with a cover)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (8 ounces)
1/3 cup finely chopped green onions
2 tablespoons whiskey
1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
- In a food processor combine shredded cheddar cheese (8 ounces), finely chopped green onions, whiskey, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic, minced. Cover and process until nearly smooth.
Nutrition Facts (Whiskey Barrel Burgers)
Per serving: 702 kcal , 41 g fat (18 g sat. fat , 3 g polyunsaturated fat , 14 g monounsaturated fat ), 121 mg chol. , 931 mg sodium , 42 g carb. , 2 g fiber , 7 g sugar , 32 g pro.