MAKES: 6 SERVINGS
SERVING SIZE: 1 TORTA
MAKES: 6 TORTAS
PREP: 25 MINS
CHILL: 30 MINS TO 4 HRS
COOK: 4 MINS
4 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/4 cup chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, peeled
1/4 cup snipped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup lime juice
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 1/4 pounds ground beef chuck
6 1 ounce slices Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeno chile peppers
1/2 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
6 hoagie rolls or other soft buns, split and toasted
2 avocados, halved, seeded, peeled, and sliced
2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
3 cups shredded lettuce
Fresh cilantro sprigs
Pickled jalapeno chile pepper slices (optional)
Bottled hot pepper sauce (optional)
- In a food processor combine bacon, onion, and garlic. Cover and pulse with several on/off turns until finely chopped. Transfer mixture to a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until bacon is completely cooked but not crispy, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Let bacon cool completely.
- In a large bowl stir together ground beef, bacon mixture (including drippings), the snipped cilantro, the lime juice, salt, and black pepper.
- Divide meat mixture into six portions. Shape each portion into a thin oblong patty slightly larger than the circumference of a hoagie roll. Cover and refrigerate patties for at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
In a grill pan or an extra-large skillet cook patties over medium-high heat for 4 to 6 minutes, turning once halfway through cooking time.
- Remove from heat. Top each patty with a slice of the cheese.
- For sauce, in a small bowl stir together mayonnaise, ketchup, and smoked paprika. Generously spread sauce onto cut sides of the hoagie rolls. Layer hoagie roll bottoms with meat patties, avocados, tomatoes, lettuce, and cilantro sprigs. If desired, top with pickled jalapeno chile peppers and/or hot pepper sauce. Top with hoagie roll tops.
Nutrition Facts (Tortas Hamburguesas (Mexican Hamburgers))
Per serving: 843 kcal , 48 g fat (15 g sat. fat , 3 g polyunsaturated fat , 12 g monounsaturated fat ), 111 mg chol. , 1476 mg sodium , 65 g carb. , 7 g fiber , 15 g sugar , 38 g pro.