MAKES: 4 SERVINGS
SERVING SIZE: 1 CUP FRUIT, 1 CUP ARUGULA, 2 OUNCES BEEF, AND 2 TABLESPOONS DRESSING EACH
PREP: 20 MINS
MARINATE: 4 HRS TO 24 HRS
GRILL: 17 MINS
12 ounces beef flank steak
1 recipe Orange-Balsamic Vinaigrette
12 cremini mushrooms
4 cups arugula and/or baby spinach leaves
2 cups quartered or sliced strawberries and/or whole blueberries
2 kiwifruits, peeled and sliced
1 orange, peeled and sliced crosswise
1/4 cup loosely packed fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley leaves, snipped
- Place beef steak in a large resealable plastic bag set in a large bowl; pour half of the Orange-Balsamic Vinaigrette over steak. Seal bag; turn to coat beef. Marinate in the refrigerator for 4 to 24 hours, turning bag occasionally. Cover and chill the remaining vinaigrette to use for brushing the mushrooms and for the dressing.
- Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade. Thread the mushrooms onto four 6- to 8-inch skewers.* Brush mushrooms with 2 teaspoons of the reserved vinaigrette; set aside. For a charcoal or gas grill, place steak on rack of a covered grill directly over medium heat for 17 to 21 minutes for medium-rare to medium doneness (145 degrees F to 160 degrees F), turning once halfway through grilling. Place skewers with mushrooms on the grill rack after turning the meat; turn skewers occasionally. Let meat stand for 5 minutes. Thinly slice meat across the grain. Cool meat and mushrooms completely.
- Divide remaining vinaigrette among four small containers. Cover and chill for 2 to 24 hours. In four salad containers evenly layer arugula, beef, strawberries, kiwifruit slices, orange slices, and mushrooms. Top with parsley. Cover and chill for 2 to 24 hours.
- To serve, shake vinaigrette. Drizzle one vinaigrette portion over one salad portion. Cover and shake to combine or toss with a fork to combine.
From the Test Kitchen
If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes before using.
To tote, place salad and vinaigrette in an insulated bag with an ice pack.
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar, white wine vinegar, or cider vinegar
2 teaspoons finely shredded orange peel
3 tablespoons orange juice
2 tablespoons snipped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a screw-top jar combine oil, vinegar, orange peel, orange juice, parsley, garlic, and salt. Cover and shake well. Cover and chill for up to 1 week.
Nutrition Facts (Strawberry-Beef Summer Salad)
Per serving: 263 kcal , 12 g fat (3 g sat. fat , 1 g polyunsaturated fat , 6 g monounsaturated fat ), 25 mg chol. , 143 mg sodium , 20 g carb. , 4 g fiber , 13 g sugar , 21 g pro.