MAKES: 6 SERVINGS
PREP: 20 MINS
SLOW COOK: 5 HRS TO 6 HRS (LOW) OR 2-1/2 TO 3 HOURS (HIGH)
1 cup chopped onion (1 large)
1/2 cup chopped carrot (1 medium)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
6 lamb shoulder chops, about 3/4-inch thick (8 ounces each)
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup dry sherry
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 recipe Spanish Chard (optional)
- In a 4 to 5-quart slow cooker combine onion, carrot, and garlic.
- In a very large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Add lamb chops, half at a time, to skillet; cook each chop until brown on both sides. Place chops in slow cooker. Add broth, sherry, bay leaves, salt, pepper, and cloves.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours or on high-heat setting for 2-1/2 to 3 hours. Transfer chops to a serving platter; cover with foil to keep warm.
- For sauce, discard bay leaves from mixture in slow cooker. Transfer vegetable mixture and cooking liquid to a 4-cup glass measure; skim off fat. Using an immersion blender, process vegetables and cooking liquid until smooth. (Or cool mixture slightly; place mixture in a blender. Cover and blend until smooth.)
- To serve, spoon sauce over chops.* If desired, serve with Spanish Chard.
From the Test Kitchen
Watch out for small bones when you eat lamb shoulder chops.
Nutrition Facts (Slow-Braised Lamb Shoulder Chops with Sherry )
Per serving: 435 kcal , 31 g fat (12 g sat. fat , 3 g polyunsaturated fat , 13 g monounsaturated fat ), 117 mg chol. , 404 mg sodium , 5 g carb. , 1 g fiber , 2 g sugar , 30 g pro.