MAKES: 12 SERVINGS
SERVING SIZE: 5 OUNCES
PREP: 10 MINS
SLOW COOK: 5 HRS TO 6 HRS (LOW) OR 2 1/2 TO 3 HOURS (HIGH)
1 cup premium unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 – 1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup hot water
4 cups half-and-half or light cream
4 cups whole milk
1/3 cup bittersweet chocolate pieces or 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup raspberry liqueur
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons chocolate-hazelnut spread
2 teaspoons sugar
fresh raspberries (optional)
shaved chocolate (optional)
- In a 3- to 4-quart slow cooker combine cocoa powder, sugar, and salt. Stir in the hot water until mixture forms a paste. Whisk in half-and-half and milk.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. (Do not boil.) Add bittersweet chocolate, whisking until chocolate is melted.
- If necessary, skim “skin” from surface; discard. Serve immediately or keep warm, covered, on warm-heat setting or low-heat setting for up to 2 hours.
- To serve, stir in vanilla and raspberry liqueur.
- Meanwhile, in a chilled bowl combine whipping cream, chocolate-hazelnut spread, and 2 teaspoons sugar. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until owoKNuoPwU form. Pipe or spoon cream mixture onto cocoa. If desired, garnish with fresh raspberries and shaved chocolate.