MAKES: 8 SERVINGS
PREP: 45 MINS
GRILL: 10 MINS
1 pound tiny Yukon gold potatoes
1 pound fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 beef porterhouse steaks, cut 1 inch thick (2 to 2 1/2 pounds total)
2 – 3 teaspoons cracked black pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 recipe Port Glaze and Vinaigrette
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese (2 ounces)
1 5 ounce package mesclun mix
- In a covered Dutch oven cook potatoes in boiling salted water about 10 minutes or until almost tender. Remove with a slotted spoon. Add asparagus to boiling water. Cook about 2 minutes or just until tender; drain. Immediately place asparagus in a bowl of ice water to stop cooking; drain. Drizzle potatoes and asparagus with oil; sprinkle with garlic powder and 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper. Place potatoes and asparagus in a grill basket; set aside.
- Trim fat from steaks. Sprinkle steaks evenly with 2 to 3 teaspoons cracked pepper and kosher salt; rub in with your fingers.
- For a charcoal or gas grill, place steaks on the rack of a covered grill directly over medium heat. Grill for 10 to 13 minutes for medium-rare (145 degrees F) or 12 to 15 minutes for medium (160 degrees F), turning once halfway through grilling and brushing with Port Glaze during the last 5 minutes of grilling. Remove steaks from grill; sprinkle with cheese. Meanwhile, place grill basket on grill rack. Grill for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden grill marks appear on potatoes and asparagus, turning basket occasionally.
- If desired, slice steaks diagonally across the grain. Halve potatoes. Spread mesclun on a large serving platter. Arrange steaks, potatoes, and asparagus on top of mesclun. Drizzle with Port Vinaigrette.
From the Test Kitchen
TO MAKE AHEAD:
Prepare potatoes and asparagus as directed in Step 1. Prepare Port Glaze and Vinaigrette. Cover and chill separately for up to 24 hours. To serve, continue as directed in Step 2.
Instead of making Port Glaze and Vinaigrette, use 1 cup bottled balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing (1/3 cup for the glaze and 2/3 cup for the vinaigrette).
Port Glaze and Vinaigrette
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped shallot
1 cup ruby port
2 tablespoons fig or quince jam, large pieces snipped
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a small saucepan heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add shallot; cook about 3 minutes or until shallot is tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Carefully add port, jam, and thyme. Return to heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 8 minutes or until reduced by half. Remove half of the mixture for glaze. Whisk vinegar, 3 tablespoons oil, salt, and pepper into the remaining mixture for vinaigrette.
Nutrition Facts (Port-Glazed Grilled Porterhouse Salad)
Per serving: 436 kcal , 28 g fat (9 g sat. fat , 2 g polyunsaturated fat , 14 g monounsaturated fat ), 66 mg chol. , 477 mg sodium , 19 g carb. , 3 g fiber , 4 g sugar , 20 g pro.