MAKES: 8 SERVINGS
MAKES: 4 PIADINI (8 APPETIZER SERVINGS)
PREP: 40 MINS
STAND: 15 MINS
GRILL: 4 MINS
5 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon snipped fresh thyme or oregano or 1 teaspoon dried thyme or oregano, crushed
1 clove garlic, minced
2 1/2 – 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
3/4 cup fig jam
4 ounces Gorgonzola or blue cheese, crumbled
2 cups lightly packed arugula
2 – 4 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, torn into bite-size pieces
Ground black pepper
- In small bowl whisk together 4 tablespoons of the oil, the thyme, and garlic. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine 2-1/2 cups of the flour, the baking powder, and salt. Add the water and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the flour mixture, stirring until a ball forms. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for 3 to 4 minutes or until the dough is soft, pliable, and smooth, adding as much of the remaining flour as needed. Divide dough evenly into four balls.
- Roll each ball to a circle 8 to 9 inches in diameter. Brush both sides of each dough round with the oil mixture.
- For a charcoal or gas grill, grill dough rounds on the greased rack of a covered grill directly over medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until bottoms are browned and crisp. Turn dough rounds over; spread with fig jam and sprinkle with cheese. Grill for 2 to 3 minutes more or until bottoms are browned and crisp. Remove from heat.
- Top with arugula and prosciutto. Sprinkle with pepper. Fold in half to serve.
From the Test Kitchen
GRILL PAN METHOD:
Heat a greased grill pan over medium-high heat. Cook one or two dough rounds (depending on the size of your grill pan) on the hot grill pan for 2 to 3 minutes or until bottoms are browned and crisp. Turn rounds over; spread with fig jam and sprinkle with cheese. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes more or until bottoms are browned and crisp. Remove from heat. Repeat with the remaining dough rounds. Serve as above.
Nutrition Facts (Piadini with Gorgonzola, Prosciutto, and Fig Jam)
Per serving: 365 kcal , 13 g fat (4 g sat. fat , 1 g polyunsaturated fat , 6 g monounsaturated fat ), 18 mg chol. , 762 mg sodium , 52 g carb. , 2 g fiber , 15 g sugar , 9 g pro.