MAKES: 4 SERVINGS
SERVING SIZE: 1 BURGER
MAKES: 4 BURGERS
PREP: 30 MINS
GRILL: 10 MINS
1 cup finely chopped fresh mushrooms
1/2 cup finely chopped green sweet pepper (1 small)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 – 1 1/4 pounds lean ground turkey or 90% lean or leaner ground beef
4 slices red onion, cut 1/2 inch thick
2/3 cup chopped, seeded tomatoes
3 tablespoons chopped, pitted Kalamata olives
3 tablespoons crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
2 tablespoons snipped fresh mint
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup fresh spinach leaves
4 honey wheat or multigrain thin sandwich rolls, toasted if desired
3/4 cup very thinly sliced cucumber
- In a medium skillet cook mushrooms and sweet pepper in hot oil over medium heat for 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook and stir for 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl combine egg, mushroom mixture, 1/4 teaspoon of the black pepper, and the salt. Add ground turkey; mix well. Shape into four 3/4-inch-thick patties.
- For a charcoal or gas grill, grill patties and onion slices on greased rack of a covered grill directly over medium heat. Grill patties for 10 to 15 minutes or until done (165 degrees F), turning halfway through cooking. Grill onion slices for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender and lightly charred.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor combine tomatoes, olives, cheese, mint, lemon juice, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Cover and process until smooth.
- To serve, place spinach on roll bottoms. Top with patties, tomato mixture, onion slices, cucumber slices, and roll tops.
Nutrition Facts (Mile High Turkey-Vegetable Burgers)
Per serving: 351 kcal , 16 g fat (5 g sat. fat , 1 g polyunsaturated fat , 3 g monounsaturated fat ), 128 mg chol. , 648 mg sodium , 29 g carb. , 7 g fiber , 5 g sugar , 32 g pro.