MAKES: 6 SERVINGS
SERVING SIZE: 1 CAKE
PREP: 25 MINS
BAKE: 20 MINS 350°F
COOL: 10 MINS
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon plus 1/2 tsp. dried lavender
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon butter, melted
3 eggs, separated
coarse or rock sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.In a small saucepan combine milk and 1 Tbsp. lavender over medium heat until just simmering. Remove from heat; let stand for 15 minutes. Strain; discard lavender.
- Finely shred 1 Tbsp. peel from lemons. Juice lemons (1/4 cup). Set aside. Butter six 6-oz. ramekins or custard cups with softened butter; sprinkle each with sugar tapping out any excess. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar and the flour. Whisk in lemon peel, lemon juice, and melted butter until smooth. In a small bowl whisk together egg yolks and strained milk. Whisk milk mixture into flour mixture until smooth; set aside.
- In a small bowl beat egg whites with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add remaining 4 Tbsp. sugar, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Stir a small amount of the egg whites into the lemon mixture to lighten. Fold in remaining egg whites (batter will be thin).
- Pour batter into prepared dishes, filling each three-fourths full; place in a shallow baking pan. Bake 20 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Remove pan from oven and cool cakes on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Place remaining dried lavender and rock sugar in a blender. Cover; blend until fine. Sprinkle over cakes. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts (Lavender-Lemon Pudding Cakes)
Per serving: 169 kcal , 7 g fat (4 g sat. fat , 1 g polyunsaturated fat , 2 g monounsaturated fat ), 106 mg chol. , 89 mg sodium , 22 g carb. , 0 g fiber , 17 g sugar , 5 g pro.