MAKES: 24 SERVINGS
MAKES: 24 SLICES
PREP: 30 MINS
CHILL: 5 HRS
BAKE: 50 MINS 375°F
1 1/2 pounds coarsely ground pork*
1/4 cup finely snipped dried apple slices
1/2 cup whole roasted shelled pistachio nuts
1/4 cup brandy or Cognac
1/4 cup apple juice
1 egg white, lightly beaten
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
6 slices bacon
4 bay leaves
Cornichons or sour gherkins
Baguette slices (optional)
- In a large bowl combine pork, snipped apples, pistachios, brandy, apple juice, egg white, salt, and pepper. Using your hands, mix well. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Using a wooden spoon, press chilled pork mixture firmly against the side of the bowl. Spoon out excess liquid, if present, and discard.
- Line two 5-1/2 x 3-inch loaf pans crosswise with 3 slices bacon each (ends of bacon will drape over edges of pans). Divide pork mixture evenly between loaf pans and pat mixture firmly and evenly into pans (pans will be full). Place two bay leaves on top of the pork mixture in each pan; fold bacon slices over top of bay leaves. Place loaf pans on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Bake pate for 50 to 60 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the centers of the loaves reads 170 degrees F. Remove pans from oven and carefully tilt pans over a heatproof bowl to allow excess fat to drain. Place a small sheet of foil over each loaf pan; top with a 1-pound can of fruit or vegetables to compress pate. Let cool for 30 minutes, then refrigerate for 4 hours or until fully chilled.
- Remove cans and foil. Discard bay leaves. Invert loaf pans onto a cutting board to remove pate. If desired, discard bacon. With a sharp serrated knife, cut each loaf into 12 slices.
- Serve cold sliced pate with coarse mustard, cornichons, and baguette slices as part of a charcuterie platter.
From the Test Kitchen
Ask your butcher to coarsely grind the pork.
Nutrition Facts (Easy Country Pork Pate with Dried Apples and Pistachios)
Per serving: 117 kcal , 8 g fat (3 g sat. fat , 1 g polyunsaturated fat , 4 g monounsaturated fat ), 22 mg chol. , 293 mg sodium , 3 g carb. , 2 g sugar , 6 g pro.