MAKES: 4 SERVINGS
START TO FINISH: 20 MINS
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
4 refrigerated or frozen meatless burger patties, thawed
6 slices fresh or canned pineapple
4 pita bread rounds or flatbreads
1 tablespoon bottled pepper and onion relish
Fresh basil leaves (optional)
Chopped peanuts (optional)
- In a medium skillet heat cumin seeds over medium heat until they are fragrant and starting to brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board. Crush seeds using a mortar and pestle or with a rolling pin.
- Brush burger patties with olive oil; coat with crushed cumin seeds. Blot excess moisture from pineapple slices and lightly coat with olive oil.
- Grill pineapple slices on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium-high heat for 3 to 4 minutes per side or until heated through.
- Transfer to a cutting board. Add meatless patties to grill rack; cook for 4 minutes per side or until heated through, adding pita bread the last 3 to 4 minutes of grilling. Cover and keep warm.
- Chop pineapple and place in a bowl; stir in relish.
Serve veggie burgers on pita bread with pineapple mixture. If desired, top with fresh basil and chopped peanuts.
Nutrition Facts (Cumin-Crusted Veggie Burgers with Pineapple Salsa)
Per serving: 316 kcal , 5 g fat (1 g sat. fat , 1 g polyunsaturated fat , 3 g monounsaturated fat ), 0 mg chol. , 619 mg sodium , 52 g carb. , 6 g fiber , 12 g sugar , 19 g pro.