MAKES: 6 SERVINGS
PREP: 20 MINS
SLOW COOK: 6 HRS TO 8 HRS (LOW) OR 3 TO 4 HOURS (HIGH)
Nonstick cooking spray
8 ounces skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 cups chopped carrots (6 medium)
2 cups coarsely chopped onions (2 large)
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1 14 1/2 ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 cup unsweetened light coconut milk
1 tablespoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup snipped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Coat a medium nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Heat over medium-high heat; add chicken. Cook and stir about 3 minutes or until light brown. Drain off fat
- In a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker layer carrots, chicken, onions, garlic, and ginger.
- In a medium bowl whisk together broth, coconut milk, curry powder, and salt. Pour over the mixture in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 4 hours.
- To serve, stir in cilantro and lemon juice.
Nutrition Facts (Coconut-Chicken Curry Stew)
Per serving: 174 kcal , 5 g fat (2 g sat. fat , 1 g polyunsaturated fat , 1 g monounsaturated fat ), 63 mg chol. , 478 mg sodium , 15 g carb. , 3 g fiber , 6 g sugar , 17 g pro.