Makes: 12 servings
Serving Size: 1 wedge
Carb Grams Per Serving: 27
3 egg whites
3/4 cup fat-free milk
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
Nonstick cooking spray
2/3 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar*
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar*
1 recipe White Chocolate Mousse (below)
1/2 ounce semisweet chocolate, melted
1 recipe Chocolate-Covered Strawberries (optional) (below)
- In a medium mixing bowl allow egg whites to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan combine milk and cocoa powder. Heat over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture just comes to boiling. Remove from heat. Whisk in unsweetened chocolate until smooth. Cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat an 8-inch springform pan with cooking spray; set aside. In a large bowl stir together flour, 1/2 cup sugar, the baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir cooled chocolate mixture into flour mixture until well combined (batter will be thick); set aside.
- Beat egg whites with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Gently fold one-third of the beaten egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Fold in the remaining beaten egg whites just until combined. Spread batter in prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove side of pan. Cool completely.
- Spread White Chocolate Mousse in an even layer over the cooled cake. Drizzle with melted semisweet chocolate and let stand until set. If desired, arrange Chocolate-Covered Strawberries around the top edge of the cake. Chill until ready to serve. Makes 12 (1 wedge each) servings.
*Sugar Substitutes : Choose Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking. Follow package directions to use product amount equivalent to 1/2 cup or 1/4 cup sugar.
*Sugar Substitutes : Per Serving with Substitute: Same as above, except 156 cal., 21 g carb. Exchanges: 1.5 carb. Carb choices: 1.5.
White Chocolate Mousse
2 ounces white baking chocolate (with cocoa butter), chopped
1/4 cup light tub-style cream cheese
1 tablespoon fat-free milk
1 1/2 cups thawed light whipped dessert topping
- In a small saucepan combine white baking chocolate (with cocoa butter), chopped; cream cheese; and milk. Cook and stir over low heat until melted and smooth. Remove from heat. Stir in 1/4 cup thawed light whipped dessert topping until smooth. Transfer to a medium bowl and cool for 5 minutes. Fold in 1-1/4 cups thawed light whipped dessert topping. Chill in refrigerator for 1 hour before frosting.
Chocolate Covered Strawberries
12 small fresh strawberries
1 1/2 ounces chopped semisweet chocolate
- Clean 12 small fresh strawberries, leaving the tops on. In a microwave-safe small bowl place 2-1/2 ounces chopped semisweet chocolate. Microwave on 50 percent power (medium) for 1 minute. Stir. Microwave on 50 percent power for 30 to 60 seconds more or until chocolate melts, stirring once or twice. Dip strawberries halfway into the melted chocolate. Use a thin metal spatula to spread chocolate to a thin layer on the strawberries and scrape off any excess chocolate. Place on a waxed-paper lined baking sheet. Let stand until chocolate is set.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Servings Per Recipe: 12
PER SERVING: 175 cal., 6 g total fat (4 g sat. fat), 4 mg chol., 118 mg sodium, 27 g carb. (2 g fiber, 18 g sugars), 4 g pro.
Other Carb (d.e): 2; Fat (d.e): 1.5