MAKES: 16 TO 20 HAND PIES
PREP: 1 HR 30 MINS
BAKE: 18 MINS TO 20 MINS 375°F
COOL: 10 MINS
1 Hand Pie Dough (see Recipe Center)
1 cup dried apricots, chopped
1/4 cup bourbon
2 medium sweet potatoes (1 lb.)
1/2 cup sugar, plus 2 tsp. for topping
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Prepare Hand Pie Dough.
- In a small bowl, combine apricots and bourbon; soak for 1 hour, until fruit is softened and most liquid is absorbed. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wrap sweet potatoes in foil. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, until soft. Remove from oven. Discard foil; cool potatoes. When cool enough to handle, remove and discard peels.
- Reduce oven to 375 degrees F. For filling, in a bowl combine potatoes, apricots and bourbon, sugar, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, and salt. Mash to consistency of mashed potatoes.
- Lightly grease two rimmed baking sheets; set aside. On a lightly floured surface, roll Hand Pie Dough slightly less than 1/4-inch thickness. With a 4- to 5-inch round cookie cutter or small knife, cut 16 to 20 rounds (reroll dough as necessary). Place about 2 Tbsp. filling on one side of each round, leaving 1/2-inch unfilled border.
- For egg wash, in a small bowl mix cream and egg. Brush edges of rounds with egg wash; fold unfilled side over filling. Crimp edges with a fork to seal. With a paring knife, cut small slits in top of each pie to vent steam.
- Place pies on prepared baking sheets. Brush tops with remaining egg wash; sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through baking, until golden brown.
- Remove from oven; cool slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature.
From the Test Kitchen
After cooling, wrap and refrigerate pies up to 3 days. Or wrap, label, and freeze pies up to 1 month. Unwrap and thaw frozen pies at room temperature before serving.
Nutrition Facts (Apricot-Sweet Potato Hand Pies)
Per serving: 435 kcal , 26 g fat (16 g sat. fat , 1 g polyunsaturated fat , 7 g monounsaturated fat ), 107 mg chol. , 141 mg sodium , 44 g carb. , 2 g fiber , 17 g sugar , 5 g pro.